Amtrak announced that private cars will no longer be
allowed on their regular schedules trains, or will they operate special
trains. This affects the states and companies too. If you have more info,
leave it in the comment section.
During the winter months, the Durango and Silverton Narrow
Gauge Railroad runs a daily train from Durango to Cascade Canyon. Departing
at 9:45 and returning at 2:45, this train provides rides with some of the
most beautiful scenery along the Animas River, often in a snowy setting.
Being of shorter duration than the regular summer excursions to Silverton,
it can be the perfect narrow gauge railroad experience. This video is a
tribute to 476 which was put back in service in February of 2018 after being
removed for almost ten years.
The Rio Grande's Class K-28 Mikados were its newest fleet of narrow-gauge
2-8-2s since the fabled Class K-27 "Mudhens" purchased at the beginning of
the 20th century. These new steam locomotives were built following the end
of World War I, corrected flaws in the earlier K-27's, and were slightly
more powerful. They were well-built machines and proved so reliable from an
operational standpoint that other railroads purchased the design.
The fabled narrow-gauge operations in southern Colorado and northern New
Mexico of the Denver & Rio Grande Western were so unique that they continue
to garner attention in books, magazines, and model railroad layouts even
today. After the mining industry's decline in the late 19th century this
network of trackage relied on a mix of freight traffic (from drilling
equipment for the oil industry to various agriculture and less-than-carload
movements) and continued to haul passengers through the first half of the
During 1923 Denver & Rio Grande Western received a new batch of ten K-28’s
from the American Locomotive Company (otherwise known as Alco) numbered
470-479. These new 2-8-2s offered a slightly better axle loading and
additional tractive effort, and their taller drivers (earning them the
nickname as "Sport Models") meant that they could operate at higher speeds.
Officially, the new K-28's were meant to replace the 4-6-0s in passenger
service between Alamosa and Durango as well as from Salida to Gunnison. The
Mikes also carried the last named train to operate on the narrow-gauge
network, the San Juan, but also found themselves in normal freight
assignments as well.
Following the United States' entrance into World War II, seven were
requisitioned by the U.S. Army during the fall of 1942 for use on Alaska's
White Pass & Yukon Railroad due to the threat from Japan to attack the state
(notably the Aleutian Island chain). These locomotives included numbers
470-472, 474-475, 477, and 479 where they were renumbered on the WP&Y as
250-256. Following the war the Mikados were not sent back to the Rio Grande
and eventually scrapped in Seattle in 1945. However, the remaining three
Class K-28's (473, 476, and 478) remained in service on the D&RGW until they
were used sparingly after the 1950s.
After being taken out of service in 1999, 476 has been rebuilt. “In addition
to the FRA-mandated repairs and inspections, the crew has rebuilt the
locomotive’s wheels and drivers; replaced the smoke box; repaired some
cylinder and frame problems; switched out its front and rear flue sheets;
and revamped the boiler, ” said mechanical foreman Randy Babcock. 473 and
478 are still operational.
For the second time in a week BNSF assists the Southwest Chief. AMTK 824 was
on this train but got set out near Flagstaff because of a flat wheel. BNSF 7026
picked up the slack and led the train to Chicago.
The village of Los Cerrillos was first established as a tent camp between
the lead and silver mines of the Carbonateville to the north and the coal mining
camp of Madrid and the gold mines of the Placer and Ortiz Mountains to the
Los Cerrillos flourished as a natural access point between the two areas;
however, it really began to grow with the arrival of the railroad in 1880. The
town was laid out by the Santa Fe Railroad in 1880 and the same year, a post
office was established. Two years later the mining camp became an official city,
when the railroad siding was built, the town held its first election, and the
first permanent home was completed.
The mineral boom of the Cerrillos Hills peaked in the mid-1880’s when miners
were extracting gold, silver, lead, zinc and turquoise from their crusty depths.
At this time there were some 3,000 prospectors working the area hills and in the
leisure time supported some 21 saloons, five brothels, four hotels, and several
newspapers in the city. The town became so well known that it was seriously
considered for the capitol of New Mexico. After Cerrillos’ peak mineral
production in the 1880’s coal mining began to take over as the mainstay of the
economy in the area.
In 1899, it was reported New Mexico’s production of turquoise was valued at
$1,600,000, most of it coming from the Cerrillos Hills.
Just a few of the area mines survived into the 20th century, the biggest of
which was the American Turquoise Company, a subsidiary of Tiffany’s of New York
on the north side of the Cerrillos. When World War I commenced, several of the
lead mining operations were reopened, including the Cash Entry and the Tom Paine
mines. However, by the time the depression began in 1929, all large company
mining was ceased. Today, some small private mines continue to be worked by
hobbyists, but the majority of turquoise mined in New Mexico still comes from
these beautiful hills.
Today, the charming, tree-shaded town of Los Cerrillos is officially a “ghost
town,” though many residents continue to live there and the town thrives as a
Santa Fe day trip destination. On some days, these dusty streets are filled with
traffic much like they were more than a century ago. The washboard dirt roads of
Los Cerrillos and the remaining buildings on its old Front Street look much like
a movie set, and in fact have been used as in some 13 movies. The films The Nine
Lives of Elfego Baca , Young Guns, Young Guns II, and Vampires were made there,
as well as John Wayne’s 1972 movie, The Cowboys, filmed just north of the town.
Warren R. Henry Dome/Observation & Fine Dining
Built in 1955 for the Union Pacific Railroad, the dome car features panoramic
viewing upstairs, a formal dining room or boardroom for meetings and a
beautifully appointed lower level lounge with satellite TV, DVD, and CD player.
A complete bar is located on the lower level. An added feature is an open rear
platform where guests can take in the fresh air at each stop along the way.
Evelyn A. Henry Sleeper Car
Built in 1954 for the Union Pacific our deluxe sleeping car features 6 double
bedrooms with lower and upper beds. A shower and bathroom is located between
each pair of bedrooms. A new feature is the master suite “Grand Canyon” with
queen size bed, private bathroom, TV/VCR, and a spacious closet.
The Evelyn Henry can sleep 10 guests utilizing both the lower and upper beds or
can be used in suite configuration for 6 guests featuring four deluxe suites
with two lower beds in each suite and private bathroom.
First class service includes turndown service in the evening, fresh brewed
coffee, newspaper brought to your room in the mornings, and 24-hour laundry
service. The on board library offers an excellent selection for nighttime
Follow us on YouTube
Help our channel and webpage by becoming a Patron!